|Date of Birth||June 17, 1887|
|Place of Birth||Maybole, Scotland|
|Next of Kin||Mary Kenny (sister), 223 McIntyre St, Port Arthur, Ontario|
|Trade / Calling||labourer|
|Service Record||Link to Service Record|
|Force||Canadian Expeditionary Force|
|Enlisted / Conscripted||Enlisted|
|Place of Enlistment||Winnipeg, Manitoba|
|Address at Enlistment||Keewatin, Ontario|
|Date of Enlistment||02/08/1915|
|Age at Enlistment||28|
|Theatre of Service||Europe|
|Prisoner of War||No|
|Date of Death||20/12/1948|
|Age at Death||61|
|Buried At||Lake of the Woods Cemetery, Kenora, Ontario|
James Kenny is the son of James Kenny and Jane Davies. On the 1911 census of Keewatin Ontario, James Kenny is age 22, born Scotland, single, and a lodger. He states he is working on the tugboat Verbena and that he had come to the area in 1906. James’ brother, John Kenny is also a lodger in Keewatin, age 26, born Scotland, and is a labourer at the flour mill. Three brothers from this family enlisted. First Robert, a shoemaker by trade, signed up on 25 May 1915 in Port Arthur and named his father James of Port Arthur as his next of kin. Then James, a labourer, enlisted on 02 August 1915 in Winnipeg naming his sister Mary Kenny of Port Arthur as his next of kin. Lastly John, a miller by trade, enlisted on 20 September 1915 in Calgary and named his wife Jane (McVey) in Lethbridge, A as his next of kin.
James Kenny left Kenora with the 78th battalion and was seriously injured in early 1916 near Ypres France. He suffered a severe wound in the upper portion of the forehead from a rifle bullet and almost died. In June 1916, he returned to Keewatin to a hero’s welcome. James is listed as being from Kenora in the newspaper article detailing the Great Reception at the Tourist Hotel on 1 April 1919 for Returned Men. His name also appears on the Keewatin honour roll published by the newspaper on 9 April 1919. On the 1921 census for Keewatin, James is shown as a boarder, age 38, born Scotland, living on Wharf Street. He stated that he had come to Canada in 1907. Unfortunately his occupation is unreadable on the census.
James lived the rest of his life in Keewatin Ontario. He did not marry. Prior to his death, he had been working on the construction of the new Keewatin rink. James passed away suddenly on 20 December 1948 and his obituary states that he had a large circle of friends and two brothers, Robert and John, both of Port Arthur. His sister Mary (who married John Davidson in 1916) is not mentioned nor are James’ parents so they may all have predeceased him. James is buried in the Lake of the Woods Cemetery in a military grave.
By Rhonda Glofcheski