|Date of Birth||March 16, 1896|
|Place of Birth||Brighton, Ontario|
|Next of Kin||R.D. Davidson, father, Brighton, Ontario|
|Trade / Calling||Student|
|Service Record||Link to Service Record|
|Battalion||7th Canadian General Hospital|
|Force||Canadian Expeditionary Force|
|Branch||Canadian Army Medical Corps|
|Enlisted / Conscripted||Enlisted|
|Address at Enlistment||Brighton, Ontario|
|Date of Enlistment||January 5, 1916|
|Age at Enlistment||19|
|Theatre of Service||Europe|
|Prisoner of War||No|
|Date of Death||July 6, 1969|
|Age at Death||73|
|Buried At||Lake of the Woods Cemetery, Kenora, Ontario|
Raymond Glenn Davidson (known as Glenn) was born on 16 March 1896 in Brighton, Ontario. He was the son of farmer David R. Davidson and Addie May Glenn. His siblings included sister Margery (born 1900) and brother Morley (born 1902).
Glenn was a medical school student at Queen’s University when he enlisted with the Canadian Army Medical Corps in Kingston, Ontario on 05 January 1916. He traveled to England with his unit arriving on 13 March 1916. Glenn spent his first two months in hospital at Moore Barracks. It was 31 May of 1916 when he reported for duty in #7 Canadian Field Hospital in France. The No. 7 Field Hospital was organized by Queen’s University, and was commanded by Colonel F. Etherington. The No. 7 Field Hospital served in Cairo from January to April 1916, Le Treport, France from April to October 1916, and in Les Etaples, France from October 1916 to May 1919, when it was disbanded. So Glenn arrived as the finishing touches were being completed on establishing the 1040 bed tent hospital at Le Treport. First patients were admitted to the hospital on 07 June 1916. In October of 1916 the No. 7 Field Hospital moved to a more permanent site at Les Etaples, France and became known as No. 7 Canadian General Hospital. Here there were 35 wooden huts already built. Each hut had 30 beds. On 27 February 1917, Glenn was admitted to the hospital with an infection to his hand. He was treated until 9 April 1917 when he was discharged to duty. At this time the hospital was undergoing an expansion to 2290 beds. Glenn had a 10 day leave at the end of October 1917. On 19 May 1918 No.7 CGH was struck during German aerial bombing. Ten people were killed and 61 were wounded. Six days later, Glenn became ill with ‘hemoptysis'(a lung infection) and was once again admitted as a patient to the hospital he worked at. On 03 June 1918 he was transferred to hospital in Birmingham England where he received the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis. At the end of June he was moved to the Canadian Special Hospital in Lenham where he received treatment until being invalided to Canada on the 20 September. Glenn arrived back in Canada in October 1918 and was admitted to Queen’s Military Hospital in Kingston to continue his treatments for T.B. He received his official discharge from the CAMC on 11 October 1918 due to being medically unfit for service.
The 1921 Canadian Census shows Glenn living with his parents and siblings on their farm in Ameliasburgh Township, Ontario. His occupation is listed as student because he was completing his medical studies. The following year Dr. Glenn Davidson moved to Kenora, Ontario to open his medical practice. In September of 1927 he married Agnes Anna McLeod at Knox United Church. They had two daughters: Ruth who married J.P. Gleeson, and Maureen who married R. Williams.
Dr. Glenn Davidson served as a medical practitioner and surgeon in the Kenora area for 40 years retiring in 1962. He was coroner in Kenora for many years and was a member of the General Hospital Expansion Committee. Other community involvements included: member of Knox Church, the Rotary Club, the Lake of the Woods Club, K 40 Club and the Kenora Masonic lodge; 25 years service on the school board; first chairman of the Lake of the Woods Museum board. Dr. Davidson was made a fellow of the Order of St. John by Her Majesty the Queen.
The Davidson’s moved to Toronto in 1967. Agnes died on 21 June 1968 and the next year Glenn passed away on 06 July 1969. They are both buried in Lake of the Woods Cemetery, Kenora, Ontario.
Photograph of Dr. Davidson: Lake of the Woods Museum Archives