Kenora Great War Project


Personal Details
Date of BirthOctober 16, 1885
Place of BirthStuartburn, Manitoba
Marital StatusSingle
Next of Kinmother, Frances Fuller Guernesy, Kenora, Ontario
Trade / CallingMachinist
Service Details
Regimental Number22620
Service Record Link to Service Record
BattalionCanadian Corps Supply Column
ForceCanadian Expeditionary Force
BranchCanadian Army Service Corps
Enlisted / ConscriptedEnlisted
Date of EnlistmentDecember 26, 1914
Age at Enlistment29
Theatre of ServiceEurope
Prisoner of WarNo
Survived WarYes
Death Details
Date of DeathApril 8, 1959
Age at Death73
Buried AtBrookside Cemetery, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Guernsey, Frederick Fuller

Frederick was born on 16 October 1885 in Stuartburn, Manitoba. His parents were William Robert Guernsey and Francis Fuller who had come to Manitoba from England in 1882. William listed ‘tailor’ as his occupation on his arrival. Frederick was one of thirteen children in the family. Four were born in England, five in Manitoba and four in Ontario. Around 1893 the family moved to Rat Portage (Kenora), Ontario. They show up there on the 1901 and 1911 census records. William died in 1912 and Frances in 1917. Both are interred in Lake of the Woods cemetery in Kenora.

On 26 December 1914 Frederick enlisted with the 44th Battalion in Winnipeg. He was single and worked as a machinist. His unit sailed for England in the fall of 1915 but Frederick went with the 1st reinforcing draft, embarking on the S.S. Grampian on 01 June 1915. When he arrived in England he was placed in the 32nd Reserve Battalion until being taken on strength by the 8th Battalion and sent to France on 22 July 1915. In September he was transferred to the 1st Canadian Divisional Supply Column. The Divisional Supply Column Companies were responsible for the supply of goods, equipment and ammunition from the Divisional railhead to the Divisional Refilling Point and, if conditions allowed, to the dumps and stores of the forward units.

Frederick spent 13 days in hospital in February 1916 for unstated reasons. At the end of March he had nine days leave in France. An inflamed eye brought him to hospital in November 1916 but he was discharged to duty the same day. On 30 December 1916 Frederick received a Good Conduct Badge. He had another ten day leave in January 1917. On 09 February 1917 he was reposted to the Headquarters of the Canadian Corps Supply Column. He gained the rank of Corporal on 13 August 1917. A third leave was granted in December 1917. On 02 April 1918 Frederick was attached to No. 73 Company, Canadian Forestry Corps and promoted to the rank of Sergeant. He had another leave in November 1918. He was attached to the Headquarters of Canadian Forestry Corps District 12 in February 1919. On 08 April he proceeded to England for demobilization and he sailed from Liverpool on 02 June on the S.S. Lapland, arriving in Canada via New York about ten days later. His official discharge came on 13 June in Winnipeg

Frederick married Mary Demetrick on 19 January 1924 in Winnipeg.

Frederick died on 08 April 1959 in Deer Lodge Hospital in Winnipeg.   His Veteran Death Card lists his friend, Mr. K. Rydberg of Winnipeg, Manitoba as his next of kin. He is buried in Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg.

Frederick’s brothers George and William also served in WW1.

Guernsey-Frederick-Fuller-3 Guernsey-Fredrick-Fuller-2

« Back To Soldier Biographies