Kenora Great War Project


Personal Details
Date of BirthDecember 4, 1894
Place of BirthKenora, Ontario
Marital StatusSingle
Next of KinWilliam Thomas Young (father), 523 Sutherland Street, Edmonton
Trade / CallingStenographer
Service Details
Regimental Number624243
Service RecordLink to Service Record
BattalionCanadian Forestry Corps Headquarters
ForceCanadian Expeditionary Force
BranchCanadian Forestry Corps
Enlisted / ConscriptedEnlisted
Place of EnlistmentEdmonton, Alberta
Date of EnlistmentJanuary 5, 1916
Age at Enlistment21
Theatre of ServiceEurope
Prisoner of WarNo
Survived WarYes
Death Details
Date of DeathNovember 13, 1952
Age at Death57
Buried AtMount Pleasant Cemetery, Edmonton, Alberta

Young, John Good

Sergeant John Good Young was working as a stenographer when he enlisted in Edmonton in January 1916. He served overseas for almost three years, some of that time as a clerk, and he returned to Canada in July 1919.

John was the son of William Thomas Young and Fannie Mabel (May) Simmons of Edmonton, Alberta. William was born in Kingston, Ontario and his wife was from New Brunswick. They were married in 1891 in Rat Portage (now called Kenora) in northwestern Ontario. They had three sons, all born in Rat Portage: William Jr. (1892), John Good (4 December 1894) and Thomas Malcolm (1896). William worked as a teamster for awhile but by 1896 he was a conductor for the Canadian Pacific Railway. A few years later his career took him and his family to Winnipeg and they were living there when the 1901 census was taken. By the time of the 1911 census they had moved to Edmonton and William was working for the CNR. John was 16 years old and already employed as a stenographer.

John and his brother Thomas both served in the First World War. Thomas enlisted in July 1915 and he died at the Somme the following year, at age 19. John enlisted on 5 January 1916, signing up in Edmonton with the 151st (Central Alberta) Battalion. He was promoted from Private to Acting Corporal in February. In April he developed tonsillitis and he had his tonsils removed at a hospital in Edmonton. After training over the spring and summer John headed overseas with his unit that fall, embarking from Halifax on 4 October on the SS California and landing at Liverpool eleven days later. Shortly after arriving he was promoted to Lance Sergeant and transferred to the 11th Reserve Battalion. Over the next eight months he served at three different headquarters (the 4th Canadian Training Battalion, the 2nd Canadian Reserve Brigade and the Overseas Military Forces of Canada) as well as the Adjutant General’s Branch.

On 18 June 1917 John was transferred to the Canadian Forestry Corps. He was promoted to Acting Sergeant on 18 July and sent to France ten days later. He was assigned to No. 24 Company, Canadian Forestry Corps, but after just three weeks with them he was posted to the Directorate of Forestry (Canadian Branch) and appointed Clerk Class 1. On 1 November he received an appointment as Staff Quartermaster Sergeant and in December he was transferred to the Canadian Forestry Corps Headquarters. He had a two-week leave of absence in February 1918 and in April he spent six days in No. 7 Canadian General Hospital, suffering from chronic bronchitis.

The Armistice ended hostilities in November but John was kept in France for another five months. He had two weeks leave in December, spending the holiday season in the UK and returning in early January 1919. He had another leave at the end of April. When it ended in mid-May he was kept in England and posted to the Canadian Forestry Corps Depot at Sunningdale. He embarked for Canada on 2 July, sailing from Southampton on the SS Olympic and landing at Halifax. He was discharged on demobilization on 14 July in Calgary.

When the 1921 census was taken John was living in Edmonton with his widowed mother and working as a bookkeeper. His father had died in 1920 and his mother passed away in 1928. John had a long career with the Provincial News Co. in Edmonton as secretary, accountant and office manager. He was a member of West Edmonton Lodge No. 101 AF and AM. He moved to Victoria, British Columbia in the summer of 1952 and he died at his home there three months later, on 13 November, at age 57. His remains were returned to Edmonton and he’s buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery where his parents are also interred.

By Becky Johnson

Young-John-Good-90 Young-John-Good-91 Young-John-Good-92

« Back To Soldier Biographies