|Date of Birth||February 23, 1897|
|Place of Birth||Keewatin, Ontario|
|Next of Kin||Mrs. Mary Walker (mother), P.O. Box 157, Keewatin, Ontario|
|Trade / Calling||Fisherman|
|Service Record||Link to Service Record|
|Force||Canadian Expeditionary Force|
|Branch||Canadian Garrison Regiment|
|Enlisted / Conscripted||Conscripted|
|Place of Enlistment||Port Arthur, Ontario|
|Address at Enlistment||P.O. Box 157, Keewatin, Ontario|
|Date of Enlistment||April 17, 1918|
|Age at Enlistment||21|
|Theatre of Service||Canada|
|Prisoner of War||No|
|Date of Death||July 8, 1973|
|Age at Death||76|
|Buried At||Lake of the Woods Cemetery, Kenora, Ontario|
Private William Walker was the son of William Walker Sr. and Mary Ogston Christie of Keewatin, Ontario. William Sr. was born in Derbyshire, England and his wife was from Aberdeen, Scotland. They both came to Canada in the mid-1880s. They were married in Keewatin in 1887 and they had at least five children: Alexander Christie (1889), Samuel (1892), Mary Ellen (1894), William (23 February 1897) and Margaret Ella (1905). Margaret died at age one and she’s buried in Lake of the Woods Cemetery in Kenora. William (Sr.) worked as a labourer and later as a lumberman and carpenter. His oldest son, Alexander, passed away in August 1915, at age 26. He’s buried next to his infant sister in Lake of the Woods Cemetery.
Conscription was introduced in Canada in the summer of 1917, three years after the start of the war. William and his brother Samuel were both called up for service. William reported as required and had his medical in Keewatin in October 1917. His occupation at the time was fisherman and next of kin was listed as his mother Mary in Keewatin. He was called up on 17 April 1918 in Port Arthur and assigned to the 1st Depot Battalion, Manitoba Regiment. On 20 January 1919 he was transferred to the 10th Battalion, Canadian Garrison Regiment and he served with them for nine months. He was discharged on demobilization on 31 October 1919 in Port Arthur. He brother Samuel was called up in January 1918 and he served in England for nine months, returning home in November 1918.
When the 1921 census was taken William and Samuel were both living at home in Keewatin and working at a local sawmill. Samuel later moved to Thunder Bay but William was a lifelong resident of the Keewatin and Kenora area. His parents died in 1953, his father in April and his mother in August. They are buried in the family plot in Lake of the Woods Cemetery. William spent his last three years living in Pinecrest Home for the Aged. He passed away there on 8 July 1973, at age 76. His funeral was held three days later and he’s buried in Lake of the Woods Cemetery next to his parents, his brother Alexander and his sister Margaret.
William and Samuel are commemorated on the Municipality of Keewatin “For King and Country” 1914-1918 plaque and the R. Douglas Fraser (Town of Keewatin) Roll of Honour.
By Becky Johnson