Kenora Great War Project


Personal Details
Date of BirthApril 3, 1892
Place of BirthDinorwic, Ontario
Marital StatusSingle
Next of KinMrs. Mary Ackabee, Kenora, Ontario
Trade / Callinglabourer
ReligionRoman Catholic
Service Details
Regimental Number198850
Service Record Link to Service Record
Battalion28th Battalion
ForceCanadian Expeditionary Force
BranchCanadian Infantry
Enlisted / ConscriptedEnlisted
Address at EnlistmentKenora, Ontario
Date of EnlistmentJanuary 26, 1916
Age at Enlistment23
Theatre of ServiceEurope
Prisoner of WarNo
Survived WarYes
Death Details
Date of DeathAugust 31, 1938
Age at Death46
Buried AtLake of the Woods Cemetery, Kenora, Ontario

Ackabee, Michael

Michael Mathew Ackabee was born on 03 April 1892 at Sandy Lake, north of Dinorwic, and spent his whole life in the district except for his time with the CEF during WW1. His parents were Andrew Ackabee and Mary Gilbert (Clear Sky Skaychommskook). He had at least four siblings – Elizabeth, William, Nancy and Joseph. Michael was a Treaty Indian with the Wabigoon Band.

Michael was at Northwest Angle on Lake of the Woods in early 1916 when he decided to enlist. His brother, Joseph had signed attestation papers on 30 December 1915 and Michael followed him. He walked into Kenora and joined the local unit of the 94th battalion on 26 January 1916. A few months later, on 27 May both brothers left for Port Arthur with the 94th Battalion. On 28 June 1916 they embarked from Halifax aboard the S.S. Olympic. Michael was transferred to the 17th Reserve Battalion upon his arrival in England. He then joined the 28th Battalion in France. He received a shrapnel wound to his right hand on 26 September 1916 and was in hospital until 14 October. Michael sprained his left knee during recreational training in February 1917 and was again hospitalized until 9th of May. A third injury occurred on 9th October 1918 when Michael sustained a gun shot wound to the head. He was sent to England for treatment, was attached to the 15th Reserve Battalion and was in the Princess Patricia Canadian Red Cross Hospital until 25th October. Michael received 21 days detention for being absent without leave and for losing his military clothing and equipment in November 1918. He was struck off strength on 15 March 1919 and returned to Canada on 24 March 1919 aboard the Royal George.

Michael came back to the Dryden area and was known as a good athlete who enjoyed playing baseball. He was the pitcher on a Dryden team. He had a son, Raymond, who was attending the Kenora Roman Catholic Indian Residential School in 1938.

Michael, a resident of Eagle River, died of pneumonia in St. Joseph’s Hospital, Kenora on 31 August 1938. He is buried in the Roman Catholic section of Lake of the Woods Cemetery, Kenora. His grave marker was provided by Last Post Fund in 2018.

Ackabee-Michael-2 Ackabee-Michael-3 Ackabee-Michael-4 Ackabee-Michael-5 Ackabee-Michael-6 Ackabee-Michael-7 Ackabee-Michael-8

« Back To Soldier Biographies