Kenora Great War Project


Personal Details
Date of BirthMarch 26, 1869
Place of BirthBelleville, Ontario
Marital StatusMarried
Next of KinUlieth Alcock (wife), 214-33rd Street, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Trade / CallingTeamster
Service Details
Regimental Number871824
Service Record Link to Service Record
Battalion183rd Battalion
ForceCanadian Expeditionary Force
BranchCanadian Infantry
Enlisted / ConscriptedEnlisted
Place of EnlistmentSaskatoon, Saskatchewan
Address at Enlistment214-33rd Street, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Date of EnlistmentApril 18, 1916
Age at Enlistment47
Theatre of ServiceEurope
Prisoner of WarNo
Survived WarYes
Death Details
Date of DeathFebruary 14, 1951
Age at Death82
Buried AtNorth Battleford Cemetery, North Battleford, Saskatchewan
PlotGr. 5, Lot 14, Block I

Alcock, Charles

Charles Alcock was born on March 26, 1869, in Belleville, Hastings County, Ontario. He was one of at least 14 children of Joseph Samuel Alcock and  Sarah Ann Belch. When the 1891 census was taken his parents were still living in the Belleville area where his father was farming.

By 1901 Charles and his family had moved to Rat Portage (later renamed Kenora), in northwestern Ontario. Charles was married in Rat Portage on March 25, 1901 to 19-year-old Eulieth Locke. Eulieth was born in Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, England in 1882, the daughter of Ephraim and Matilda Locke. Her family had immigrated to Canada in 1887 and settled in Rat Portage. Her father died in 1891 and her mother married Robert Wiggins in 1892.

When the 1901 census was taken Charles and Eulieth were living in Rat Portage where he worked as a teamster. They moved to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in 1912. They had eight children: Sarah, Charles, Joseph, Sidney, Netta and Mable, all born in Ontario, and Elton and Melvin, born in Saskatchewan. When the 1916 census was taken they were living in Saskatoon and Charles was employed as a cattle buyer.

Charles enlisted in Saskatoon on April 18, 1916, signing up with the 183rd Overseas Battalion. He was 47 years old but he stated his age as 43, as the requirements under the King’s Orders and Regulations would not recruit a man over 45. His occupation was listed as teamster and next of kin was his wife in Saskatoon.

During the summer Charles trained with the 183rd Battalion at Camp Hughes in Manitoba and in August he had harvesting leave. His battalion embarked from Halifax, Nova Scotia on October 4, 1916 and disembarked in Liverpool, England on October 13th. Two weeks later Charles was transferred to the 144th Battalion at Witley. On November 15, 1916, at Seaford, he was brought before the medical board and found to be too old for the front line and recommended for Garrison duty ‘B’ Class.

In January 1917 Charles was transferred to the 18th Reserve Battalion. In May he was sent to France and transferred to the 3rd Labour Battalion and he joined them in the field later that month. The Royal Engineers raised eleven labour battalions consisting of labourers, tradesmen and semi-skilled men who could be used in construction of rear lines of defence and other works. During his time with the 3rd Labour Battalion Charles also served as a stretcher bearer.

On November 9, 1917 Charles reported sick at a casualty clearing station. Two days later he was admitted to No. 6 General Hospital in Rouen, suffering from nephritis. From there he was evacuated to England on the hospital ship Grantully. He was sent to the War Hospital in Exeter then, on November 27, 1917, moved to the Convalescent Centre at Monks Horton where he was a patient until March 1918. During that time he was assigned to the Canadian Railway Troops Depot.

On March 13, 1918 Charles was sent to No. 5 Canadian General Hospital in Liverpool to await his return to Canada. He sailed from Liverpool on April 15th on the hospital ship Araguaya, arriving at Liverpool nine days later and getting leave until May 15th. On May 24th he was admitted to the Military Convalescent Hospital in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, diagnosed with nephritis and senility (old age). Charles went absent without leave for three days and was awarded forfeiture of three days’ pay and allowance. He was officially discharged from service in Regina on October 21, 1918, due to being medically unfit. Three of his nephews from Kenora also served in the war: Edward, Russell and William Alcock. Only William survived and returned home.

In 1920 Charles and his wife moved to Speers, just east of North Battleford, where they took up farming. The younger children attended Corbett School and their daughter Sara became a school teacher. Charles Jr. eventually took over the family farm in Speers. Eulieth died on December 27, 1942 in Fruitvale, British Columbia, while she was visiting their daughter Sara. She is buried in Mountain View Cemetery in Trail.

Charles retired from farming in 1945 and moved to North Battleford. He passed away there on February 14, 1951, at age 82, and he’s buried in North Battleford Municipal Cemetery.

Alcock-Charles-90 Alcock-Charles-91 Alcock-Charles-92

Grave marker photos courtesy of

« Back To Soldier Biographies