Kenora Great War Project


Personal Details
Date of BirthApril 12, 1891
Place of BirthWheston, Derbyshire
Marital StatusSingle
Next of KinElizabeth Baker, McBenley Ave, Wheston Derbryshire, England
Trade / CallingStationary Fireman
ReligionChurch of England
Service Details
Regimental Number439082
Service Record Link to Service Record
Battalion2nd Battalion
ForceCanadian Expeditionary Force
BranchCanadian Infantry
Enlisted / ConscriptedEnlisted
Date of EnlistmentJanuary 15, 1915
Age at Enlistment23
Theatre of ServiceEurope
Prisoner of WarNo
Survived WarYes
Decorations and MedalsMilitary Medal
Death Details
Date of Death19500323
Age at Death59

Baker, Frederick John

Frederick John Baker was born on 12 April 1891 in Wheston, Derbyshire, England. His parents were Frederick George and Elizabeth Baker. He had at least two sisters – Lizzie born in 1885 and Annie born in 1888. By 1911 the family was living in Ilkeston, Derbyshire where Frederick Sr. was a veterinary surgeon and a taxidermist.

At some point Frederick Jr. immigrated to Canada and ended up in Kenora, Ontario. He boarded with Mrs. Markham and worked as a fireman on the CPR.

On 15 January 1915 Frederick enlisted with the 3rd contingent of soldiers being raised for WW1. After some training in Kenora, the group left for Port Arthur where they went into camp with the 52nd battalion. On September 04 1915 the 2nd Reinforcing Draft of the 52nd battalion left Montreal aboard the S.S. Missanabie. When they arrived in England, Private Baker was admitted to Moore Barracks Hospital with a skin condition that was treated until December 1915 and then again from February to September 1916. On 22 September 1916 Frederick was taken on strength by the 2nd battalion. He joined this unit in France on 08 October 1916 and served with them until June of 1918 when he attended a general training course. Just a month after Frederick’s return from his course he was severely wounded when he received a gunshot wound to his head that gave him two compound skull fractures. He was invalided to Seaford and posted with the Eastern Ontario Regiment depot while he was in hospital. Frederick was reported dangerously ill on 23 August and his relatives were called to the hospital. He wasn’t taken off the danger list until 02 September 1918. He spent the fall in a convalescent home in England.

John was returned to Canada in January of 1919. He resided at the YMCA ‘Red Triangle Club’ in Toronto. In February he was examined at Toronto General Hospital where the two one inch depressions on the right side of his head were noted. On 07 March 1919 John was discharged as ‘medically unfit’ for service. He was awarded the Military Medal.

John died in Ilkeston, Derbyshire, England on 03 March 1950. His sister, Lizzie Shorthose, was listed as his next of kin.

Baker-Frederick-John-2 Baker-Frederick-John-3 Baker-Frederick-John-4 Baker-Frederick-John-5 Baker-Frederick-John-6


« Back To Soldier Biographies