Kenora Great War Project


Personal Details
Date of BirthMarch 24, 1895
Place of BirthKenora, Ontario
Marital StatusSingle
Next of KinMrs Rosie Bolton, mother, 505 St Johns Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Trade / CallingTeamster
Service Details
Regimental Number718413
Service Record Link to Service Record
Battalion107th Battalion
ForceCanadian Expeditionary Force
BranchCanadian Infantry
Enlisted / ConscriptedEnlisted
Address at Enlistment505 St Johns Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Date of EnlistmentFebruary 2, 1916
Age at Enlistment20
Theatre of ServiceEurope
Prisoner of WarNo
Survived WarYes
Death Details
Date of DeathOctober 25, 1953
Age at Death58
Buried AtChapel Lawn Memorial Gardens, Winnipeg, Manitoba
PlotEverlasting Life Lot 123 Grave B1

Bolton, Stanley Earl

Stanley Earl Bolton was born on 24 March 1895 in Rat Portage (later renamed Kenora) in northwestern Ontario. His father Philip Henry Bolton was from the township of Bastard in Leeds County, Ontario while his mother Rosie McQuade was from Ballymena, County Antrim, Ireland. A few weeks after her arrival in Winnipeg in 1888 the couple married. Children born to the family in Manitoba were Maud May, born in 1889 in the RM of Tache, and Samuel Bertie, born in 1892 in the RM of Strathclair. By 1894 the family had moved to Rat Portage where Henry found work as a teamster and a brickmaker. Children born in Rat Portage were Constance (1894), Stanley, and Annabelle (1896).  The 1911 Canada census found Henry, Rosie, and children Maud, Stanley, and Belle farming in the the RM of Provencher in the area of Prairie Grove.

Stanley signed his attestation papers in Winnipeg on 2 February 1916, occupation given as teamster and his birth date as the 25th of March. He gave his mother Rosie on St Johns Avenue as next of kin. Organized in Winnipeg in November of 1915 with recruitment in Winnipeg, the 107th Battalion embarked from Halifax on 18 September 1916 aboard the SS Olympic. On board was Private Stanley Bolton.

In December of 1916 Stanley was transferred to the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles, arriving at the unit for duty on 22 January 1917. By April 1st Stanley was admitted to the No 22 General Hospital Dannes Camiers. He had been buried by a shell explosion and suffered from a concussion and shell shock. Later that month he was transferred to the Duston Northampton War Hospital and then on to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital Woodcote Park, Epsom. Discharged in mid June, Stanley was admitted to the No 12 Canadian General Hospital at Bramshott with an infection of the knuckle in December. Discharged later that month he was readmitted in late January of 1918 as the open wound would not heal. He was transferred to Woodcote Park in late February and then on to Manor Hospital in March. No sooner had his hand healed when he came down with tonsillitis followed by the mumps. He was eventually discharged from the No 12 Canadian General Hospital on the 18th of July. By October Stanley was back in France with the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles and was awarded a Good Conduct Badge as reported on 12 January 1919. In February of 1919 Stanley returned to England and embarked from Liverpool for Canada on 17th of March aboard the SS Olympic.

Stanley returned to Winnipeg where he found work as a salesman. On 29 October 1927, in Winnipeg, he married Phoebe Griffith. Born in Winnipeg in 1905, Phoebe was the daughter of Henry Griffith and Charlotte Ann Omand. This was Charlotte’s third marriage as her previous husbands had died. Stanley’s brother Bert had married Charlotte’s daughter by her second husband, Maud Chipperfield, in 1922. Stanley was a member of the St Boniface-Norwood Branch of the Canadian Legion and the International War Veterans Alliance.

Predeceased by his sister Constance Ingram in 1918, his father Henry in 1935, and his mother Rosie in 1937, Stanley died on 25 October 1953 in St Boniface Hospital, Winnipeg. At the time he was survived by his wife Phoebe, brother Bert, and sisters Maud Anderson and Annabelle Lester. Maud died in 1962 in Montreal, Bert in 1978, Phoebe in 1986, and Annabelle in 1988, all in Winnipeg. Stanley and Phoebe are interred in the Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens, Winnipeg.

At age 57, Stanley’s father Philip enlisted in Winnipeg in 1916 and went overseas with the 221st Battalion. He was returned to Canada in August of 1917, discharged as medically unfit due to age.

by Judy Stockham

Bolton-Stanley-Earl-2 Bolton-Stanley-Earl-3 Bolton-Stanley-Earl-4

« Back To Soldier Biographies