Kenora Great War Project


Personal Details
Date of BirthFebruary 22, 1886
Place of BirthKenora, Ontario
Marital StatusSingle
Next of KinMrs. Catherine Currier (mother) (aka Mrs. Catherine Hough)
Trade / CallingYardmaster
ReligionRoman Catholic
Service Details
Regimental Number2381668 and 820966
Service Record Link to Service Record
Battalion1st Depot Battalion, Manitoba Regiment
ForceCanadian Expeditionary Force
BranchCanadian Infantry
Enlisted / ConscriptedEnlisted
Address at EnlistmentKnight River, Minnesota, U.S.A.
Date of EnlistmentApril 4, 1918
Age at Enlistment32
Theatre of ServiceGreat Britain
Prisoner of WarNo
Survived WarYes
Death Details
Date of Death19460127
Age at Death59
Buried AtSt. Mary's Cemetery, Marysville, Washington, U.S.A.

Currier, James Harris

Private James Harris Currier (aka James Harry Hough) enlisted twice, in August 1916 and again in April 1918. He served in Canada and Great Britain for about two years.

James was the son of John William Hough and Catherine Currier. John and Catherine were married in 1871 in Arnprior, Ontario and they had at least six children: William, Ada Teresa, Mary, Frederick (Alfred), Catherine Maria and James Harris. John was a farmer and they lived in the township of Horton in South Renfrew. Their daughter Catherine was born in 1882 and within a few years the family had moved to the town of Rat Portage in northwestern Ontario. James was born in Rat Portage (now called Kenora) on 22 February 1886 and his brother William drowned there two months later, in May 1886.

John and Catherine moved to the Rainy River area next and took up farming near the village of Pinewood. In the summer of 1916 the war entered its third year and James went to Port Arthur where he enlisted on 9 August as James Harry Hough. He signed up with the 141st (Bull Moose) Battalion, which was recruited in the Rainy River and Kenora area. He was 30 years old, his address was Pinewood and he said he was supporting his mother as his father had left the family. The 141st Battalion trained in Port Arthur until the following spring. During that time James was absent without leave twice and fined three times for drunkenness while on duty. His unit left for Great Britain on 20 April but James was held back and transferred to District #10 Casualty Clearing Depot, based in Winnipeg. He was absent without leave starting on 19 May and about a month later, on 14 June, he was struck off strength as a deserter.

Ten months later when James enlisted again he was living across the border in Minnesota and working as a yardmaster. He signed up in Winnipeg, Manitoba on 4 April 1918 as James Harris Currier (his mother’s maiden name). He listed his next of kin as his mother Mrs. Catherine Currier in Emmett, Idaho. (Catherine spent time in Emmett, where her daughter Mary lived, but her address was actually still Pinewood and she still used the surname Hough.) James joined the 1st Depot Battalion, Manitoba Regiment and just five weeks later he was on his way to England with the 18th Draft. He embarked from Halifax on the SS Teiresias and arrived in London on 24 May. He was assigned to the 18th Reserve Battalion and he was with them until 11 December, a month after the Armistice. During that time he spent three and a half months in the hospital recovering from diphtheria.

In December 1918 James was transferred to the Canadian Army Medical Corps and posted to No. 14 Canadian General Hospital in Eastbourne. He was a patient there himself for a week in March 1919 when he was ill with influenza. In early June he was given permission to marry and he was married in Islington, London on 18 June. His wife, Emma Brown, was born in Islington on 31 January 1888, the daughter of James Henry and Ruth Brown.

At the end of July James was attached to No. 11 Canadian General Hospital and in August he was transferred to the Canadian Discharge Depot. He and his wife sailed for Canada together that fall, embarking from Southampton on the SS Adriatic and arriving at Halifax on 10 September. James was officially discharged on demobilization ten days later in Halifax. That same month he and Emma went to Vancouver then on to Emmett, Idaho. They ended up living in the Seattle area in Washington State. Their first two children were born in Seattle: Elsie May (1920) and James Harris Jr. (1921). Three more were born in the nearby town of Everett in Snohomish County: William Robert (1922), Eileen Gladys (1924) and Elizabeth Teresa (1930). James worked in the lumber industry and by 1940 he and his family were living on the outskirts of Arlington. He continued to use the surname Currier.

James passed away in Monroe, Snohomish County on 27 January 1946, at age 59. Emma died in Marysville, Washington in 1974. They are both buried at St. Mary’s Cemetery in Marysville.

Link to second service record: James Harry Hough

By Becky Johnson


« Back To Soldier Biographies