Kenora Great War Project


Personal Details
Date of BirthJanuary 9, 1891
Place of BirthLaxviken, Laxsjo, Jamtland
Marital StatusMarried
Next of Kinwife, Cassandra Olson living in Keewatin, Ontario
Trade / Callinglabourer
Service Details
Regimental Number820721
Service Record Link to Service Record
Battalion141st Battalion
ForceCanadian Expeditionary Force
BranchCanadian Infantry
Enlisted / ConscriptedEnlisted
Address at EnlistmentKeewatin, Ontario
Date of EnlistmentMay 11, 1916
Age at Enlistment25
Theatre of ServiceEurope
Prisoner of WarNo
Survived WarYes
Death Details
Date of DeathJune 5, 1957
Age at Death66
Buried AtLake of the Woods Cemetery, Kenora, Ontario

Olson, Knute

Knute (Cnute) Ole Olson was born on 09 January 1891 in Laxviken, Laxsjo, Jamtland, Sweden to Ole Olson and Martha Carlson.  He received his education in Norway. In 1912 he came to Canada settling on a farm in the Pellatt area near Keewatin, Ontario.  On 02 September 1913 Knute married Cassandra Signe Ingrekson in Kenora, Ontario.

With World War 1 raging, Knute volunteered for service with the 141st Battalion on 11 May 1916. He trained with the Kenora detachment of the 141st until 21 August 1916 when he was granted a month long ‘farm furlough’. After this, training took place in Port Arthur, Ontario and in April of 1917 Knute was on his way to the front.  He embarked from Halifax aboard the S.S. Olympic on 29 April 1917 and arrived in England on the seventh of May. He was placed in the 18th Reserve Battalion until being transferred to the 52nd Battalion in September of 1917.  Knute received shrapnel wounds to his right ankle on October 26th.  His battalion was in Marceul, France at the time.  This is the excerpt from the War Diary for the 52nd Battalion on that day:

‘In the line – Oct. 26th – A few Aerial trepedoes at intervals and some heavy Trench Mortars during day and night, mostly on Right Sector frontage.   Some damage done to Front line trenches.   All men working 12 hours a day improving trenches in their area.’

Knute was taken to hospital in Boulogne and then returned to England where he was hospitalized until March of 1918 for treatment of his wound. Upon discharge from the hospital he was with the 18th Reserve battalion in England until the 28th of August 1918. At that time he returned to the 52nd Battalion in France.

On 30 September 1918 Knute was wounded a second time.  His battalion had just moved to the north side of the Cambrai-Duai Road and was being subjected to heavy shelling.  Knute received a gun shot wound to his left arm.  He was returned to England and was in hospital until 21st October 1918.  He was then transferred to the 18th Reserve battalion until returning to Canada in December 1918.

Family recounts indicate he returned home wounded.  His wife picked him up in Keewatin and transported him home to the farm at Kilodan Lake in Pellatt in an ox cart.

Knute and Signe lived out their days on the farm.  Often Knute drove the ox and cart into Keewatin to sell butter. They had five daughters – Matilda (Tilly), Esther, Christina, Ingeberg, and Julia; and two sons – Iner and Carl.

After a lengthy illness, Knute passed away in Deer Lodge Hospital in Winnipeg on 05 June 1957.  He is buried in Lake of the Woods Cemetery, Kenora, Ontario. Knute’s service is memorialized on the Town of Keewatin plaque, the Lake of the Woods Milling Company plaque and the Fraser plaque (C Olsen).

Olson-Knute-2 Olson-Knute-3 Olson-Knute-4 Olson-Knute-5 Olson-Knute-6 Olson-Knute-7 Olson-Knute-8 Olson-Knute-9 Olson-Knute-10 Olson-Knute-11 Olson-Knute-12

Photograph of Knute and Signe provided by their granddaughter Diane Lapworth.

« Back To Soldier Biographies