Kenora Great War Project


Personal Details
Date of BirthJuly 9, 1881
Place of BirthCork City, County Cork
Marital StatusMarried
Next of KinElizabeth Sutton, wife
Trade / CallingClerk
ReligionRoman Catholic
Service Details
Regimental Number887137
Service Record Link to Service Record
Battalion28th Battalion
ForceCanadian Expeditionary Force
BranchCanadian Infantry
Enlisted / ConscriptedEnlisted
Address at EnlistmentNorth Battleford, Saskatchewan
Date of EnlistmentJanuary 17, 1916
Age at Enlistment34
Theatre of ServiceEurope
Prisoner of WarNo
Survived WarYes
Death Details
Date of DeathDecember 18, 1925
Age at Death44

Sutton, Percy Robert

Pierce Robert (Percy) Sutton was born on 9 July 1881 in Cork City, County Cork, Ireland. His parents, Robert Abraham Sutton and Frances Mary Hayes had married in 1868 in Cork. Known children born to the family were Mary Geraldine (1870), Abraham Edward (1872), Frances Mary (1873), Dora (1875), Mabel Agnes (1876), Eveleen Mary (1878), Amy (1879), and Percy. It appears that father Robert was a prosperous coal merchant, the family able to employ servants. By the 1901 Ireland census Robert had passed away and Abraham was running the business, employing Percy as an assistant in the office.

Percy was next found on the passenger list of the Mauretania that arrived in New York in December of 1909, passenger list indicating that his final destination was Canada. By January of 1916 when he signed his attestation papers he was living in North Battleford in Saskatchewan, married, and working as a clerk.

Organized in February of 1916 with recruitment in Prince Albert, North Battleford, Battleford, Radisson, Lloydminster, Humboldt, Kelliher, Kamsack, Yorkton, Melfort, and Tisdale, the 188th Battalion trained at Camp Hughes in Manitoba before embarking from Halifax aboard the Olympic on 13 October 1916. On board was Private Percy Sutton.

Still in England that December, Percy was admitted to the Moore Barracks Hospital on the 27th suffering from pleurisy. In early January he was struck off strength to the 15th Reserve Battalion and transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital in Monks Horton, Kent. Recovery was slow and it would not be until the end of April of 1917 that Percy was discharged. However by the end of May he was once again hospitalized, this time at the Canadian Military Hospital at Bramshott with a deflected septum. First transferred to the Westcliffe Ear and Eye Hospital in Folkestone, in June he was transferred back to Monk Horton, discharged in early July.

In November of 1917 Percy was struck off strength to the 28th (Northwest) Battalion. With recruitment in Regina, Moose Jaw, Prince Albert in Saskatchewan as well as Fort William and Port Arthur in Ontario, the 28th Battalion was mobilized in Winnipeg and had arrived in France in September of 1915. It was mid March of 1918 before Percy joined the unit in the field. Just a short time later, on the 5th of April, Percy sustained multiple shrapnel wounds to his arm and leg and was admitted to the No 6 Canadian Field Ambulance. First transferred to the No 18 General Hospital in Camiers, Percy was invalided to England on the 11th and admitted to the Kitchener Military Hospital at Brighton. In May he was moved to the Military Convalescent Hospital Woodcote Park, Epsom, then to the Manor War Hospital, also in Epsom, back to Woodcote Park and discharged that August. After going through a series of transfers, Percy embarked for Canada aboard the Grampian on 15 December 1918. He was discharged as medically unfit for service due to his wounds on 20 January 1919 in Regina. During the war Percy’s wife Elizabeth had moved to Moose Jaw, his destination following discharge.

In mid January of 1920 Percy returned to Ireland to visit his mother, arriving back in Canada on the 8th of March aboard the Empress of France. His occupation on the Arrivals form was given as merchant and usual residence as Moose Jaw. It appears that he and Elizabeth may have separated as his marital status was given as single. By the spring of 1923 Percy had taken the job as manager of Millers’ Lodge, a small hotel located near Keewatin in northwestern Ontario.

But all was not well with Percy, and leaving a note stating that he had too many troubles and was ill, Percy took his own life by a self inflicted gunshot wound on 18 December 1925. According to a newspaper article about his death he left behind a widow and stepson who was also employed at the lodge. Percy’s remains were shipped to Winnipeg, final resting place unknown.

by Judy Stockham




« Back To Soldier Biographies