|Date of Birth||April 6, 1898|
|Place of Birth||Kenora, Ontario|
|Next of Kin||Mr Charles Hegel, father, 230 North Harold Street, Fort William, Ontario|
|Trade / Calling||Banker|
|Service Record||Link to Service Record|
|Battalion||No 6 Artillery Depot|
|Force||Canadian Expeditionary Force|
|Branch||Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery|
|Enlisted / Conscripted||Enlisted|
|Address at Enlistment||230 North Harold Street, Fort William, Ontario|
|Date of Enlistment||June 15,1917|
|Age at Enlistment||19|
|Theatre of Service||Canada|
|Prisoner of War||No|
|Date of Death||February 7, 1973|
|Age at Death||75|
|Buried At||Mountain View Cemetery, Thunder Bay, Ontario|
Frederick William Hegel was born on 6 April 1898 in Rat Portage (later renamed Kenora) in northwestern Ontario. His father Charles Hegel was from the Morrisburg area while his mother Laura Hennessy was from the Trenton area, both in Ontario. William had an older brother Royal (Roy) Elbridge who was born in 1886 in Trenton. By the time of William’s birth the family had moved to Rat Portage where Charles found work as a mason. Laura’s parents had moved to the area around 1891. By the time of the 1911 census Charles, Laura and the two boys were living in Fort William, Ontario with Charles working as a mason foreman.
With occupation given as banker and his father Charles in Fort William as next of kin, William signed his attestation papers with the 4th Divisional (Ottawa) Signal Training Depot in Fort William on 15 June 1917. In January of 1918 he was transferred to the No 6 Artillery Depot, Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery, with discharge on demobilization on 13 December 1918 in Halifax.
After the war William returned to Fort William, found working as a clerk in a bank and living with his parents and brother on North Harold Street. In 1929 he married Alice Thornburrow, daughter of William and Mary Agnes (née Smith) Thornburrow. Born in 1897 in Kendal, Westmorland, England, Alice had immigrated to Canada with her parents and siblings around 1907. The newlywed were to make Fort William (Thunder Bay) their home. Over the years William worked as a bookkeeper and accountant for Proudman and Nolls, and then later with CA Auld Supply Company, retiring in 1969. He was a member of St Thomas Anglican Church, Fort William Lodge No 415 AF and AM, Fort William Chapter 140 Royal Arch Masons, Royal Canadian Legion, and the Fort William Curling Club.
William died on 7 February 1973 in Thunder Bay. He was predeceased by his father Charles in 1938, mother Laura in 1945, and brother Roy in 1966, all in Thunder Bay. His wife Alice died on 20 August 1981. All are interred in the Mountain View Cemetery, Thunder Bay.
by Judy Stockham
obituary courtesy of the Thunder Bay Public Library
grave marker photo by Canadian Gravemarker Gallery